I suggest you ...

Add smart folders / search folders

Allow for the creation of smart folders that would collect outline entries meeting certain criteria. Questions may arise about whether the "parents" and "children" of a given entry should be displayed as well. I would propose that the default mode should be that only the actual line meeting the search criteria be displayed, but that there be some sort of indicator showing that the line has parents and/or children. Clicking the indicator would then display those parents/children. Thanks!

42 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • flatree commented  · 

Searching has to be one of the most important components of an outliner. I have tested the Find inspector in UV on a long file and its slow and locates the items one at a time. Noteliner does it brilliantly with its filter function. But Noteliner is otherwise clunky and looks like it came from the 1980s. UV in contrast is very sleek and professional looking. Please improve the search facility to list all nodes containing the searched for term. Many thanks. flatree

• Anonymous commented  · 

Parents should be displayed as well.

• MadaboutDana commented  · 

This is a great idea. I think the search/find function in any outliner application has to be pretty powerful, and UV Outliner is potentially capable of handling a lot of data. So smart searches/folders would be very neat. Another option would be to show search results in a separate window, so you can move directly to a specific text string in the outline by clicking on the text fragment in the search results.

Feedback and Knowledge Base