I suggest you ...

Different data types in columns

Add the possibility to create columns with different types, such as Date, Money, Text, etc...

86 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminFedir Nepyivoda (Admin, UV Outliner) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Number column support, with the ability to sum them into the parent node is very useful for time estimate roll-ups.

• Simon Hobbs commented  · 

The only type I need is number, and the ability to sum them at the bottom (and ideally to have a read only version of the sum of children on parent)

• Anonymous commented  · 

I'm still looking forward to any development that would cover a 'totalisation' feature. I'd love to detail tasks into smaller measurable sub-tasks and see the the total hours automatically reflected in all the parent tasks.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I like the idea of data types, additionally I would certainly add a number datatype that would reflect an automatic total in the parent nodes. This would be truly useful to make detailed todo list, with time or money values next to each item and have the totals added-up immediately in the parent nodes. The first screen shot in the 'tour' shows an example like that.

• Paul Brandt commented  · 

When you suggest "(...) such as Date, Money, text, etc...", what does etc.... imply? An (arbitrary) list of types such as the Dublin Core? Or user-defined complext types, based upon the default programming languages supported types? Or a drop-down list?

Let me turn the question around and ask myself what I would need. And that depends heavily on the scenario. For instance, when my outline is growing in magnitude and out of human control, I'd like to see meta-info (because in the end columns are just that) that I could use to control the mess during its life time: priorities, labels, date/time, status. What I don't want to see are full blown project mgt parameters including hours, costs, duration, dependencies and alike.

Keep it lean and mean, hence maybe what would suffice is adding date/time, and a user-defined drop down list. Let's see what these two bring about.
        I can't see a need for calculations, though. But that may be my limitations.

• Paul Brandt commented  · 

And while you're at it, the ability to format the text of each column separately (fonts & color) would be welcomed warmly!

• AnSc commented  · 

Adding support of making sums in the nodes of the numbers of the children rows would be a fine thing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base